I planted a bunch of basil this summer because I looooooove pesto. A basic pesto just takes a few simple ingredients–basil, garlic, nuts and olive oil. I normally add parmesan cheese but this batch is for a vegan pal so no cheese. If you make this a few times it’s easy to adjust to your taste. Some recipes have more/less olive oil, some call for more/less nuts. Pesto is super easy as it’s very forgiving in that you’re easily able to adjust ingredients as you go. I made minor edits to this recipe from Paleo Leap:
- 2 packed cups fresh basil leaves;
- 1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil;
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (optional);
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (Cashews and walnuts also make a nice pesto);
- 4 garlic cloves (more/less depending on your love of garlic), minced;
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the basil, garlic and nuts in a strong blender or food processor and pulse until everything is chopped. (I don’t have a food processor so I always use a Vitamix blender.)
- Add the olive oil and Parmesan, if using, and pulse again until smooth. (For vegan-friendly just omit.)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.